Edited by :
Prakash R. Somani and M. Umeno
Applied Science Innovations Private Limited, India and Chubu University, Japan.
Forewords by :
Nobel Laureate Sir Prof. H. Kroto,
Florida State University, USA
(Discoverer of Fullerenes)
January 2009, Pages : 350, Softbound,
Printed in Black, A4 size,
ISBN : 978-81-906027-0-9
Invitation Price : Rs. 2500 only (~ US $ 50).
ELCB Price * : Rs. 1000 only (~ US $ 20).
* This book has been included in our ELCB program. Postage and VAT charges extra.
* This book is a recommended Reference book for M. Tech. (Nanotechnology) cource in Punjab University, India.
From Forewords :
"There are a number of good overviews detailing the Physics and Chemistry of Carbon Nanotubes and this work (Carbon Nanotubes : Multifunctional Materials) is highly complementary to these in that it considers the future. The articles focus on likely technological applications and related critical issues. It is a single reference source covering the large scale aspects of Carbon Nanotube research and as well as applications presented in a form for designed for a multidisciplinary readership. This book lays out a state-of-the-art perspective on these amazing new structures, while focusing on technological applications as well as the technological challenges that must be confronted and overcome if the paradigm-shifting new technologies are to be realised. Included in this compendium are: Environmentally-friendly synthesis and safe-handling of carbon nanotubes; Methods for solublisation and processing; Applications in Field Effect Transistors (FETs), Organic Solar Cells, Fuel Cells, Nanoprobes, Composites (polymers and cements), Flame-retardant materials; UV-protecting textiles and optical filters. In addition, each chapter presents a detailed introduction to the associated subject area. This book is a valuable reference source for students, scientists, engineers, and specialists both in academia and industry concerned with the fundamental and technological/industrial applications of Carbon Nanotubes".
Sir Prof. H. Kroto, Floridia State University, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry (1996), Discoverer of Fullerenes.
Description about the book :
Contrary to all the books published on carbon nanotubes as of today, this interdisciplinary book focuses specifically on the technological applications of carbon nanotubes and related aspects. It is the single reference source bringing together large aspects of carbon nanotube research and applications for a wide range of multidisciplinary audience. This book gives an update of the state-of-the-art on this wonder material, while focusing on technological applications and the bottle-neck problems for the development of such technologies / applications. Book discusses important issues such as – Approaches for environmental friendly synthesis and handling of carbon nanotubes; making them soluble and processable; their applications in Field Effect Transistors, Organic Solar Cells, Fuel Cells, Nanoprobes, in composites (polymer and cement), fire-retardant materials, UV-protecting textile and filters. In addition, each book chapter presents good introduction to the subject area under discussion, essential for understanding of the present state-of-the-art. This book is a definite reference source of high value for students, scientists, engineers, and specialists both in academia and industry working on carbon nanotubes and their technological/industrial applications.
It brings together inorganic, organic, macromolecular, biological, analytical and theoretical chemists, materials scientists, spectroscopists and microscopists to share information on the methods of synthesis, purification and characterization of carbon nanotubes, modification of their chemical properties in order to expand the areas of nanotube applications in science, technology and medicine.
The book contains 15 state-of-the-art review chapters written by more than 45 leading experts from 10 countries.
- Approaches for Environmental Friendly, Safe Synthesis and Handling of Carbon Nanotubes, P. R. Somani.
- Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotubes : Synthesis and Applications
S. Bianco, M. Giorcelli, S. Musso, A. Tagliaferro.
- Dispersible Carbon Nanotubes, Y. Chen and S. Mitra.
- Carbon Nanotube Field Effect Transistors (CN-FETs),
T. Mizutani, Y. Ohno, P. R. Somani.
- Y-branched Carbon Nanotubes : Synthesis and Electrical Applications,
P. R. Bandaru.
- Application of Carbon Nanotubes in Photovoltaic Energy Conversion,
P. R. Somani, S. P. Somani and M. Umeno
- Carbon Nanotube Based Electrodes for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells, S. P. Somani, P. R. Somani and M. Umeno
- Nanoprobe Applications of Carbon Nanotubes and Nanofibers,
M. Tanemura and M. Kitazawa
- Carbon Nanotube Array Based Smart Materials, N. Mallik, J. Abot, Y. Song, G. Maheshwari, W. Chu, E. Head, M. Dadhania, W. Li, V. Shanov, C. Jayasinghe, P. Salunke, L. Lee, D. Hurd, Y. H. Yun, S. Yarmolenko, J. Sankar, P. Phillips, R. A. Komoroski, W. J. Chu, A. Bhattacharya, N. Watts, and M. J. Schulz.
- Carbon Nanotube Based Fire Retardant Materials, Z. Fang and H. Ma
- Aerosol Filters using Carbon Nanotubes, S. J. Park
- Carbon Nanotubes for Ultra-Violet Radiation Protecting Textile, S. Mondal
- Gas sensing Applications of Carbon Nanotubes,
M. K. Kumar, G. Han, S. Ramaprabhu
- Carbon Nanotube – Cement Composite Materials, J. M. Makar
- Carbon Nanotube – Polymer Composites and Their Applications, A. Pantano
It is a cutting-edge interdisciplinary book specifically focused on the technological applications of carbon nanotubes and related aspects. This book is a valuable reference source for scientists, graduate students, researchers, and other professionals working in the fields of nanotechnology, materials science, chemistry, engineering, polymer science, physics, and spectroscopy.